Monday, November 22, 2010

CTN - X

The weekend has come and gone and The Creative Talent Network animation expo for 2010 is over, but it has left me with inspiration and motivation. For those who don't know, CTN is a convention for people working in and who want to work in animation. This is the 2nd year that they have held the convention and it is held at the Marriott Hotel and Convention Center in Burbank, CA.


The convention is held for three days and during those three days you can attend different panels to get an inside look on artists and companies. Different panels are held all day long for different aspects of animation. There are talks about story, visual development, animation, behind the scenes of recent animated films, and everything else in between. To get an idea of the panels and the speakers you can check out the list on CTN's website.

Fastpass tickets got you to the front of the line for 3 panels that you really wanted to see

Not only could you sit in on speakers and presentations, but there where also artists doing demos live at different locations that you could watch in person and on TVs. An animator that I was most humbled to meet and talk to was Andreas Deja. He drew and animated some of the characters that he is known for during his demonstrations.




After Andreas was finished with his demonstration he signed and handed out the drawings that he had done. My friends and I were all lucky enough to get one.

My good friend Nate Kelly got Jafar
I got Roger Rabbit, which was neat because I had asked him about how rough he would work and he did a quick gesture of Roger in the middle of drawing the nicer one.

I saw a lot of other artist do demos, but here are 2 more of my favorites.

J Scott Campbell was doing a demonstration on the Cintiq
Eric Goldberg was also doing an animation demonstration

One of the best parts though about going to any kind of convention like CTN is meeting artists, buying new artwork from your favorite artists or new artists, and finding new or rare books that you might not find anywhere else. I'm sure if I had some more money I would have bought a few more things as there was a fantastic amount of artists and work to browse through in the marketplace. I did manage to pick up a few things from a few of my favorites.

From left to right I got Book Plate Betties by Bill Pressing, an original framed drawing by Liana Hee, a free Tangled movie poster, Chris Sanders Sketchbook 4, Scribblings 4 by Dean Yeagle, and a free DVD of the Story Behind the Story of How To Train Your Dragon
Here's a close-up of the original piece I got from Liana Hee

If you had some down time you could also draw from one of the models out in the atrium. The models were amazing and had great costumes and props. I unfortunately didn't get much of a chance to draw them since I was going to the panels and meeting companies and artists.

All in all though, CTN - X was a lot of fun. If you are looking into getting into the animation industry, I would highly suggest looking into coming to next years. I know I will be going again and I am sure next year will be even better than this year. Did you go to CTN? Let me know what you liked the most, and in the mean time, I've got some new books to look at and a lot of work to catch up on.

1 comment:

Casemanartist said...

Wow, I clearly missed a lot of awesomeness after I left. Next year, nothing will stop me from being there the whole weekend!

It's amazing that you and Nate got original Andreas Deja sketches...that is beyond freakin' sweet!

Hope the new books are inspiring your artwork; I know mine are for me! :^)