Thursday, April 1, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon

If you haven't seen it yet get to the theaters and check it out. It's my favorite DreamWorks movie so far. I enjoyed the movie so much that I went a head and picked up the art of book. The book is packed with some fantastic character and environment designs. If you are a visual development artist, animator, or just a huge fan of the art form, I highly recommend picking it up, especially if you loved the film. I was hoping for a few more sketches by Chris Sanders in it, but there's only like one or two. A new artist I discovered in the book is Simon Otto. I really like his style and the style of a lot of the illustrations in the book. I decided to do my own spin on drawing a dragon from this universe and myself riding it. I hope you like it. I tried some new traditional techniques with this one that I liked a lot that I will have to use in some more of my work.

7 comments:

Alyvia Plummer said...

Looks nice! What medium did you use for the colors?


-Lyv

Adam Knight said...

Thanks Alyvia! I used copic markers and prisma colored pencils.

Alyvia Plummer said...

Ah damn those copic markers! I just found out about them the other day while watching one of Terryl Whitlatch's demos, and it seems like everything amazing I see is done with them. Are they expensive? Where did you buy them?

Adam Knight said...

Yeah I love them. They are a little expensive. I don't own that many. I think they are around $5 a piece. I got mine at Utrecht, but I know you can order them online as well at different places. I'm thinking about getting some more. There are different kinds. The ones I used were sketch copic markers.

-jen- said...

This is pretty great, Adam. You definitely captured the style, and I dig your dragon! :)

Adam Knight said...

Thanks Jenni!

wow! the sky is blue. said...

really looks cool :)