Tuesday, January 27, 2009

2008 Year End Review

2008 was a crazy year for me.  It was my first year out of college.  My contract at a game company had just expired and I did a little bit of product design to start the year off.  I was having difficulties finding jobs in Chicagoland and was thinking about starting a graphic illustration portfolio so I could land a job in the art field.  I figured I could work some where and teach myself and study 2d animation in my spare time.  I thought a lot and the more I thought about it the more I thought I'd just be wasting my time.  So I put together a portfolio and sent it off to the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.  I was accepted into their Masters program for 2d animation and moved back to Iowa for the Spring and Summer.  I left the area I had lived in for 3 1/2 years and all of my friends to move on with my life.  You learn that sometimes growing up sucks, but hopefully in the end it will all be worth it.  

The day before I moved back home I met a lovely girl online who liked my art work and that girl is now my girlfriend crazy enough, which has been absolutely an amazing experience.  If you want the full story on us message me or I can tell you in person.  It's too long for this blog at the moment.  Going home was good and it was bad.  It felt good to be home for a while and to be able to see my family and hang out with my brothers.  The bad stuff was ridiculous and lets just say there was a heated argument and a not needed family meeting.  In the end of all of this family stuff I learned a lot and I was really hurt by it.  I was shocked really and I'm sorry I'm being a little vague.  Lets just say I never thought a dog could cause so many problems within a family.  

August soon came and I spent my birthday in San Francisco moving into student housing, meeting the roomie, and spending time with the new girlfriend.  I learned that housing sucks, the Academy is pretty sweet, my classes rock, and I'm so pumped to be an animator.  I now have my own place in the city with my puppy Ringo and 2nd semester classes start this week.  It's amazing how much can happen with in a year.  My entire life changed and it seems like it happened so fast. Oh and I also got to meet three animators in person and get my books and stuff signed by them.  They were Richard Williams (Who Framed Roger Rabbit), Bill Plympton (successful independent animator), and Eric Goldburg (Genie from Aladdin).  It was very inspiring to meet them.  Also if you are into animation, I highly recommend Eric Goldburg's new animation book called Character Animation Crash Course!

2009 is going to be a hard year for everyone it seems, but I hope it's going well for you.  It feels good to be back in the city and back in school.  You can be sure to look forward to more updates from me as school gets going.  Here are my classes for this semester:

History & Techniques of Character Animation
Character Design & Drawing for Animators
Traditional Animation 2
Storyboarding

No comments: